It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 20:34

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: I'm Screwed, Game Over
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2011, 17:46 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I had a pleasant experience (intended sarcasm) at SCTC this afternoon. For the last week or so since registering for classes, I noticed that there was no authorized financial aid when I checked the Account Detail for Term. I know from what you've said and from personal experience that the actual account balance doesn't change right away. But that's not what's bothered me. Even then, I would always find pending financial aid in Account Detail for Term. I've registered for classes twice in June, and both times, I never got any indication of pending financial aid.

So, June 29th comes, and I decide to pay my technology fee. I put the issue with financial aid out of my mind, but that's when the clerk said that I had none on file and that I needed to talk with financial aid. So I did, and she said that it should now show up in BannerWeb and that the next day it should appear. Well, I checked the next day. Still nothing. The only thing that changed was how in a new section (Financial Aid), there's a link called My Eligibility, and after selecting the 2011-2012 term, I found "ELECTRONIC GSFAPP FROM GSFC | Received and Satisfied | Jun 29, 2011." Other than that, nothing has changed. I went back to the college the next day when it was still supposed to be in its operating hours - only to find the front doors were locked! I left feeling rather steamed.

So, that brings me to today. Fortunately, I was able to enter the college and see a financial aid worker. I hoped I could get this crap resolved. But no. Very little was done to help me. She said there were no funds in my account and that they might not work their way into the system for a while - or something like that. I can't remember exactly what she said, but at first, I was under the impression that everything was okay and that I'd get funding for the summer quarter, but something was said that made me feel otherwise. I asked if I should drop my classes, and she said something about contacting the bursar's office or whatever (I don't even know how to contact them - I see virtually nothing about them on the website).

I left the college feeling very pissed, upset, and hopeless. Can't those fuckers do anything right? This was my last chance to get my grade up and still keep financial aid, and I tried to take it seriously, but now, I probably won't even have financial aid, so I'll just have to miss this quarter, get suspended next quarter, and lose financial aid the quarter after that!

I've already dropped one of my classes. I'm debating whether or not I should drop the other one and just call it quits. I don't want to have to owe several hundred dollars. I simply don't have the money, and classes start tomorrow, so I don't think there's enough time to get funding anyway (correct me if I'm wrong). I swear, 2011 has been such an awful year for me in so many ways.

Dan, have you heard of this "bursar's office?" If so, how do you get in touch with them? Or should I even bother? I'm sorry if I sound pissed off, but I kind of am. It's frustrating how you try to do something right to fix your problems, and then someone else's mistakes screw you over. I don't know what to do now.

Post subject: Re: I'm Screwed, Game Over
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2011, 21:07 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jemascola wrote:
Well, I had a pleasant experience (intended sarcasm) at SCTC this afternoon. For the last week or so since registering for classes, I noticed that there was no authorized financial aid when I checked the Account Detail for Term. I know from what you've said and from personal experience that the actual account balance doesn't change right away. But that's not what's bothered me. Even then, I would always find pending financial aid in Account Detail for Term. I've registered for classes twice in June, and both times, I never got any indication of pending financial aid.

So, June 29th comes, and I decide to pay my technology fee. I put the issue with financial aid out of my mind, but that's when the clerk said that I had none on file and that I needed to talk with financial aid. So I did, and she said that it should now show up in BannerWeb and that the next day it should appear. Well, I checked the next day. Still nothing. The only thing that changed was how in a new section (Financial Aid), there's a link called My Eligibility, and after selecting the 2011-2012 term, I found "ELECTRONIC GSFAPP FROM GSFC | Received and Satisfied | Jun 29, 2011." Other than that, nothing has changed. I went back to the college the next day when it was still supposed to be in its operating hours - only to find the front doors were locked! I left feeling rather steamed.

So, that brings me to today. Fortunately, I was able to enter the college and see a financial aid worker. I hoped I could get this crap resolved. But no. Very little was done to help me. She said there were no funds in my account and that they might not work their way into the system for a while - or something like that. I can't remember exactly what she said, but at first, I was under the impression that everything was okay and that I'd get funding for the summer quarter, but something was said that made me feel otherwise. I asked if I should drop my classes, and she said something about contacting the bursar's office or whatever (I don't even know how to contact them - I see virtually nothing about them on the website).

I left the college feeling very pissed, upset, and hopeless. Can't those fuckers do anything right? This was my last chance to get my grade up and still keep financial aid, and I tried to take it seriously, but now, I probably won't even have financial aid, so I'll just have to miss this quarter, get suspended next quarter, and lose financial aid the quarter after that!

I've already dropped one of my classes. I'm debating whether or not I should drop the other one and just call it quits. I don't want to have to owe several hundred dollars. I simply don't have the money, and classes start tomorrow, so I don't think there's enough time to get funding anyway (correct me if I'm wrong). I swear, 2011 has been such an awful year for me in so many ways.

Dan, have you heard of this "bursar's office?" If so, how do you get in touch with them? Or should I even bother? I'm sorry if I sound pissed off, but I kind of am. It's frustrating how you try to do something right to fix your problems, and then someone else's mistakes screw you over. I don't know what to do now.

never heard of it.
and tbh, just give up with SCTC, go get your immunizations, go talk to admissions at a decent college, and ask all about financial aid, they'll be glad to tell you about it. I found that decent college have very good admissions.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2011, 21:45 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's what I've wanted to do all along. I think I'll aim for that. Just gotta get some money first. SCTC really sucks. The sad thing is that I still need to get my GPA up before I can transfer schools (it's currently a 1.89). I might still need to attend one more quarter at SCTC until I get my GPA above 2.0. Sadly, things haven't been going well lately, so I'll have to put it off for a while. Maybe I'll try to put more emphasis on looking for a job in the meantime.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2011, 22:30 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jemascola wrote:
That's what I've wanted to do all along. I think I'll aim for that. Just gotta get some money first. SCTC really sucks. The sad thing is that I still need to get my GPA up before I can transfer schools (it's currently a 1.89). I might still need to attend one more quarter at SCTC until I get my GPA above 2.0. Sadly, things haven't been going well lately, so I'll have to put it off for a while. Maybe I'll try to put more emphasis on looking for a job in the meantime.

No, you don't. Don't transfer anything. Instead of transferring records, give them your SAT scores.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2011, 23:59 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wouldn't I still need to give them my transcript from SCTC? I wasn't really talking about technically transferring - just abandoning one school and starting over at another one. I think they'd still need to know my academic past. Otherwise, it'd be considered academic dishonesty. They'll have access to my social security number and can probably trace records of previous schools and financial aid awards anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2011, 10:15 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, here's the rundown. The college is the sole decision maker on whether they will require documents from your old college. It depends on the specific college. Gordon college requires a transcript from your college, and a high school transcript if you have achieved less than 30 credit hours at your current institute. Now while your college transcript looks like crap, they know that if you have less than 30 hours, that one class can blow your whole transcript, which is why they ask for the high school transcript, which will blow them away. Now on another subject, they have to vote on whether to allow you in or not, if you are suspended or otherwise not allowed to re-enroll at your previous college for any reason(excluding financial aid, that doesn't count). Since you are not at this point, I'd say you should be fine. go ahead and take that class, if you haven't already dropped it, and don't fuck it up, it could be the class that saves your ass.
Also, ignore banner, it's a piece of shit, if they let you attend after financial aid kicked it, you're fine. banner is just an old, broken, hacked together piece of crap.
DANNOTE: Art Institutes doesn't seem to require any transcripts, they are the first school I looked at, XD.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2011, 12:48 
Site Admin
Site Admin

All right, sounds good. Thanks, man.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2011, 13:05 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another quick question, though. I've attempted 19 credit hours but have actually earned 10 of them. In my first quarter, I took 3 classes for 3 credit hours, and in spring 2 classes for 5 (which I failed). The only kind of class I could possibly afford is one three hour class. Do you think taking one three hour class would be enough to put me at/above 2.0? If not, I don't know if I should waste my time/money on taking a class this quarter - especially in light of what you said in your last post.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2011, 21:45 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, if you get at least a B in your next class, your GPA will be 2.041363636363636
If you get an A, it will be 2.1777272727272727
If you get anything less than a B, forget it.
Now, you need to go bitch at financial aid for being a bunch of fucking asshats.
Good luck dude!
Now whether you want to attempt this or not is up to you, but at 19 credit hours at a 1.89 GPA, that is what the numbers came out to for 3 more credit hours. The choice is yours.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2011, 21:53 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Okay, thanks man!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next