It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 17:46

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: More Questions
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2010, 02:10 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Okay, well, I got my start date at Southern Crescent postponed 'till Winter Quarter, and hopefully, I can start then if there aren't any problems with FAFSA.

Anyway, back in June or July or whatever, I tried to find a place where I could get a PDF copy or whatever of the FAFSA so I could get all the financial information from my dad before filling out the FAFSA online. All I could find at that time was a FAFSA on the Web Worksheet, which states that it doesn't include all the questions asked on the real FAFSA. That concerned me some, as I wanted to have all the questions answered ahead of time. Anyway, here's the link for FAFSA on the Web:

Site to find worksheet: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/before012.htm

Now, a few weeks ago, I was trying to do the same thing and finally came across a site which had more questions than the other worksheet available. There's also more pages involved, and I didn't see anything about it not being the one to mail in (I don't plan to print out the FAFSA and mail it, though - I just want something with all the questions so I can gather all the info. I need). I think it could be the same as the one you'd get online or through the mail, but I'm not sure.

Site with PDF: http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/forms.jsp
PDF Link: http://www.ifap.ed.gov/eannouncements/attachments/041210CorrectionFinal1011FAFSAAttchEng.pdf

I don't know if the thing'll open or not 'cause on one of the computers I have, it didn't open, but there was like ten pages and a little over a hundred questions.

So anyway, if the bottom link opens, is that the real FAFSA? I hope it is 'cause I want to get all the info. from my dad that I can at one time. Also, what about PINs? I think just one parent is needed to sign the FAFSA, but do they care which one? My dad's the one with the primary income, and I think the stock investments are in his name, too, but could I just have my mom get a PIN and sign the FAFSA? In other words, even though most (if not all) of the financial aspect of things comes from my dad, can my mom still sign anyway instead of him?

Also, suppose due to the timing of my FAFSA, I had to pay for part of the tuition myself. Would this affect my eligibility for the next time I'd need to apply for FAFSA or not - or do you even know lol?

That's all the questions I have for now. I'm just hoping that I make it in time for winter quarter. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: More Questions
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2010, 09:35 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My parents didn't help me with the fafsa at all. It asks for some info about your parents, but not too much. It usually only asks financial questions if you are applying for an income based financial aid, like the pell grant, or something.
I can't tell you if it is real or not, because this computer is too overloaded to pull up a PDF right now,but knowing that there isn't a paper fafsa anymore, and the whole thing is website based, I wouldn't think so.
Don't worry about financial info, and ask your parents any questions you don't know. If I remember right, it asks for how long they have lived in the state,when they were born, if they had any former names, etc. It will only ask you financial questions, if you select pell, or another income based scholarship usually. :)
Make an account on gacollege411, and go for it. :)

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2010, 00:38 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cool, thanks, but since you said you didn't really have to fill out financial info. and how you went to gacollege411, it sounds like maybe you applied directly for the HOPE Grant. I already got my dad to make a PIN and fill out some of his financial info. (which the form I printed did ask questions about), so I guess even if I don't need it, it doesn't hurt having the info. Are you sure you didn't just apply for the HOPE Grant? If you did, it's kinda weird, 'cause just before I graduated high school, I thought someone said something about not being able to get the HOPE if you didn't fill out the FAFSA. Who knows.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2010, 01:05 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nope, my gacollege411 account redirected me to the GEORGIA FAFSA site, which is basically the fafsa, for georgia scholarships. It is used to apply for the Hope Grant, the Hope Scholarship, and the Pell Grant. You are prolly filling out the federal one, which is fine, but it has more questions, and does not necessarily apply you for state scholarships.
Before you say anything, yes I did say there was a state specific version of the FAFSA. Weird eh?
Anyway, you may wanna consider that.
Basically what you do, is you go to https://secure.gacollege411.org/Financi ... tions.aspx
click start GSFAPPS, and it will take you to a screen and ask you to login. If you don't have an account, you can create one at this point. After that, it will take you to a form on http://www.gsfc.org
You can't access the form from their page, you have to go in via gacollege411.
Anyway, you fill that out online, and then you have applied for the Georgia FAFSA.
Good luck bud.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2010, 22:07 
Site Admin
Site Admin

danperteet wrote:
Nope, my gacollege411 account redirected me to the GEORGIA FAFSA site, which is basically the fafsa, for georgia scholarships. It is used to apply for the Hope Grant, the Hope Scholarship, and the Pell Grant. You are prolly filling out the federal one, which is fine, but it has more questions, and does not necessarily apply you for state scholarships.
Before you say anything, yes I did say there was a state specific version of the FAFSA. Weird eh?
Basically what you do, is you go to https://secure.gacollege411.org/Financi ... tions.aspx
click start GSFAPPS, and it will take you to a screen and ask you to login. If you don't have an account, you can create one at this point. After that, it will take you to a form on http://www.gsfc.org
Anyway, you fill that out online, and then you have applied for the Georgia FAFSA.
Good luck bud.

Now it all makes sense! Heh, didn't know there was a state-specific FAFSA lol. Thanks a bunch for your help, man.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010, 12:29 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RedneckRoadGeek wrote:
danperteet wrote:
Good luck bud.

Now it all makes sense! Heh, didn't know there was a state-specific FAFSA lol. Thanks a bunch for your help, man.

No problem. :)

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 15:26 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was looking online a little more and found this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4910465_apply-hope-grant-georgia.html

Step four confuses me. I downloaded a paper application from Georgia411 and then looked at the PDF listed in the resource section, and they appear to be the same. Would I need to request any forms from Southern Crescent? Whatever the case, I do believe you're supposed to contact them to let them know you've applied for financial aid, right?

Also, another thing is that as you know, I'm ultimately planning to switch over to Gordon College but for various reasons can't just go there directly now. I'm wanting to just stay at SC for maybe a quarter or so until I can hopefully go to Gordon. The HOPE Grant only covers Diploma and Certificate programs if I'm correct, and I'm still basically set to prepare for the radiology program, which is a Degree program if I'm correct. I found that you can get a Change of Enrollment form or whatever (I downloaded a copy here), but it says to submit one quarter before. I guess I could submit it now, right? Still, it says in one section to have a financial aid signature.

Would I be unable to get the HOPE Grant because I'm currently set up for a degree program and might not be able to get a signature to change enrollment?

Sorry to bother you, it's just this one thing just occurred to me.

Thanks.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 19:44 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, I am not gonna answer this in order.
Just submit a change of enrollment, to get on the radiology diploma, so Hope will cover it. Do that now.
On the situation of the Hope Grant, you are making this harder than it is. You fill out the online app, which asks you your current school. Then, after the school recieves it, they will send you a paper to sign, which is a financial aid disclaimer, releasing them of liability. You return that, and you are good to go. I don't know what idiot wrote step 4 on eHow, but most of that crap is just bs. In fact, last I heard, the paper app no longer exists, and is no longer valid.
Just go to the school and fill out a change of enrollment, and fill out the Georgia FAFSA online. Call the school, in a week or two, and ask if they got your FAFSA app, and that's about it. You'll get that disclaimer I talked about in the mail, just sign that. Don't make this more complicated than it is, and don't believe what morons on websites like eHow write.
I await your response, and further questions, because I am extremely bored, and this gives me something to do.
-Dan

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 04:30 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I await your response, and further questions, because I am extremely bored, and this gives me something to do.
Lol. Glad I'm giving you something to do :P Anyway, thanks a bunch, man, your reply really helps.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2010, 21:26 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just another quick question. With the change of enrollment, it says that if you're receiving financial aid that you'll need a signature first. I don't have it YET but plan to get it as you know. I guess for now it'd be okay to submit the form without a financial aid signature, right?

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next