It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 20:25

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: FAFSA Deadline Confusion
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2010, 07:43 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I really don't understand the thing with the FAFSA deadlines. It says for the 2009-2010 school year, the deadline is June 30, 2010 and that for the 2010-2011 school year, the deadline is June 30, 2011. But I don't understand why they would give you all that time to apply for aid, as you would think the school would expect payment before you start. It seems more logical to me that applying by June 30th of this year would pay for 2010 and 2011 - not 2009 and 2010. I'm pretty worried because it's only a few weeks until then, and I just sent Griffin Tech my SAT scores, and the thing there said they'd be sent by mail, and that could take two to four weeks.

So really, if you can answer it, what is the deal with the FAFSA thing? Also, another thing I'd like to know is if I can be finished applying for the FAFSA before Griffin Tech sends me an official acceptance letter.

Thanks again.

Post subject: Re: FAFSA Deadline Confusion
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2010, 13:10 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's the thing about the FAFSA, you need to fill that out at least 2 months before the quarter starts. The FAFSA deadlines themselves don't mean all that much, really. If Summer Quarter officially begins the 2010-2011 school year in the FAFSA. You see the deal with the deadlines is you could start out paying school out of pocket. You find out that there was financial aid available, so you fill out the forms, and in some way get reimbursed for what you payed that year. But yeah, even though the FAFSA deadline is a ways off, go ahead and fill it out 2-3 months before starting, because if you haven't, the school still expects their money, and if they don't get it, they will drop your schedule within the first week. Remember, there are 4 quarters in a year, and you must fill out the FAFSA every year before Summer Quarter, or you won't have financial aid. After you fill out the FAFSA(online) and tell it to send it to Griffin Tech, Griffin Tech will mail you a Financial Aid disclaimer to sign. I signed it, and mailed it back. Then you should be done.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2010, 12:42 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Okay, thanks a lot, man.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2010, 00:11 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No problem. :)

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2010, 03:09 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another quick question: would it be okay to go ahead and apply for FAFSA even though Griffin Tech hasn't officially accepted me yet? The whole application process kinda slowed down after they sent me that thing requesting my transcript and SAT scores and after I had to leave to see my grandma. When I sent my SAT scores, it said it'd take about 2-4 weeks to get there, and it might take a little more time after that for Griffin to accept me. At the same time, though, I want to apply for the FAFSA as soon as possible as you suggested, so I'm not really sure what to make of this situation. What do you think?

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2010, 12:10 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Go ahead. If you don't get accepted(which is impossible), you can call the Hope people up(for lack of better terms), and tell them to change it. Anyway, it is impossible to not get accepted by Griffin.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2010, 13:33 
Site Admin
Site Admin

All right, thanks again, man.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]