It is currently 25 Aug 2019, 20:02

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Motherboard, Old Case?
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2012, 13:49 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm thinking about possibly building my own computer this year - or maybe more like replacing the motherboard on one of my old ones. I don't really want to spend money on a new case if I don't have to, so here's the deal: do you think a new motherboard will work (without ventilation issues) in a Pentium 4-era case? The two cases I have available are the Dell Dimension 4400 (from 2002) and the generic computer from around 2003. I'm leaning more towards upgrading the generic computer. So, do you think ventilation would be an issue? Thanks in advance.

By the way, I got on Indirect IRC, but it didn't seem like anyone was talking :P

Post subject: Re: New Motherboard, Old Case?
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2012, 23:47 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jemascola wrote:
I'm thinking about possibly building my own computer this year - or maybe more like replacing the motherboard on one of my old ones. I don't really want to spend money on a new case if I don't have to, so here's the deal: do you think a new motherboard will work (without ventilation issues) in a Pentium 4-era case? The two cases I have available are the Dell Dimension 4400 (from 2002) and the generic computer from around 2003. I'm leaning more towards upgrading the generic computer. So, do you think ventilation would be an issue? Thanks in advance.

By the way, I got on Indirect IRC, but it didn't seem like anyone was talking :P

the issue is not so much ventilation, but whether the case is a standard form factor or not, and if so, we have to find out which form factor, so you can buy a motherboard of that form factor.
Also, if you're getting a NEW motherboard, you'll need the CPU, RAM, a SATA HDD, since the newer boards don't support IDE, and prolly another PSU(if the system requires more power, or you don't have sata adapters). If you are just doing a motherboard swap from around the same era, this shouldn't be an issue. ventilation really depends on what you are putting into it, and how you do so. the wiring arrangement, CPU fan, and case fans if applicable, will be your main ventilation factors. I've never really had a problem with ventilation, that a few large powerful case fans couldn't fix. Anyway, I look forward to hearing more info about this project, so I can give you info that isn't a shot in the dark.
Also, sometimes you have to wait a while on IndirectIRC. I recommend saying Hi, and waiting around about 20 minutes. Also, at the time you came on, you probably noticed my nick was set to Dan|Away. this either indicates that I am asleep, or away from my computer. at the time you came on, I was eating a basket of chicken tenders at Partners Pizza. lol.
Anyway, talk to you later I guess.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 13:22 
Site Admin
Site Admin

danperteet wrote:
the issue is not so much ventilation, but whether the case is a standard form factor or not, and if so, we have to find out which form factor, so you can buy a motherboard of that form factor.
Also, if you're getting a NEW motherboard, you'll need the CPU, RAM, a SATA HDD, since the newer boards don't support IDE, and prolly another PSU(if the system requires more power, or you don't have sata adapters). If you are just doing a motherboard swap from around the same era, this shouldn't be an issue. ventilation really depends on what you are putting into it, and how you do so. the wiring arrangement, CPU fan, and case fans if applicable, will be your main ventilation factors. I've never really had a problem with ventilation, that a few large powerful case fans couldn't fix. Anyway, I look forward to hearing more info about this project, so I can give you info that isn't a shot in the dark.
Thanks for the info. I would guess that the cases support ATX motherboards since that seems to be a standard, popular form factor these days, but I haven't actually checked.

I was more interested in a new motherboard, as the computers I have are rather old and could go at any point. Unless I got an unused "old" motherboard, it probably wouldn't do me much good.

The more I think of it, the more I think it would be better for me to just save my money and buy a computer rather than build one. Processors alone cost $300-$500, and plus, you gotta buy the motherboard (which could be between $50-$100+), and then the PSU like you said, then the memory, and so on - not to mention about $100-$200 for a copy of Windows 7. By the end of the day, I could very well be looking at near $1,000 or more, whereas I could get all that crap ready to go for $300-$500. More economical in my opinion (though I realize that some of these budget machines are less upgradeable). But probably a big plus, in my opinion, to buying a prebuilt OEM computer is that a lot of them don't require activation of the operating system. And unless I'm wrong, you can only activate it a few times before having to buy another copy :P

danperteet wrote:
Also, sometimes you have to wait a while on IndirectIRC. I recommend saying Hi, and waiting around about 20 minutes. Also, at the time you came on, you probably noticed my nick was set to Dan|Away. this either indicates that I am asleep, or away from my computer. at the time you came on, I was eating a basket of chicken tenders at Partners Pizza. lol.
Okay, I'll give it another shot. Hope you enjoyed your chicken tenders, lol.

I think we should try to hang out sometime this week. Friday okay with you?

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 13:30 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jemascola wrote:
danperteet wrote:
Thanks for the info. I would guess that the cases support ATX motherboards since that seems to be a standard, popular form factor these days, but I haven't actually checked.

I was more interested in a new motherboard, as the computers I have are rather old and could go at any point. Unless I got an unused "old" motherboard, it probably wouldn't do me much good.

The more I think of it, the more I think it would be better for me to just save my money and buy a computer rather than build one. Processors alone cost $300-$500, and plus, you gotta buy the motherboard (which could be between $50-$100+), and then the PSU like you said, then the memory, and so on - not to mention about $100-$200 for a copy of Windows 7. By the end of the day, I could very well be looking at near $1,000 or more, whereas I could get all that crap ready to go for $300-$500. More economical in my opinion (though I realize that some of these budget machines are less upgradeable). But probably a big plus, in my opinion, to buying a prebuilt OEM computer is that a lot of them don't require activation of the operating system. And unless I'm wrong, you can only activate it a few times before having to buy another copy :P

danperteet wrote:
Okay, I'll give it another shot. Hope you enjoyed your chicken tenders, lol.

I think we should try to hang out sometime this week. Friday okay with you?

Friday is fine, yes.
Now to add my notes. Why buy a budget computer, when I can help you build something much better and upgradeable for the same price? I know where all the deals are, and what manufacturers are good and bad. budget computers are just not even worth the price tag for the most part.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 13:46 
Site Admin
Site Admin

danperteet wrote:
Now to add my notes. Why buy a budget computer, when I can help you build something much better and upgradeable for the same price? I know where all the deals are, and what manufacturers are good and bad. budget computers are just not even worth the price tag for the most part.
Interesting. You'll have to tell me more about that later. See ya Friday :)

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2012, 13:27 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jemascola wrote:
danperteet wrote:
Interesting. You'll have to tell me more about that later. See ya Friday :)

What time?

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2012, 15:19 
Site Admin
Site Admin

danperteet wrote:
What time?
Maybe around 2:00 - 3:00?

By the way, I found this. Pretty good price for the bundle if you ask me. What do you think? It may not be absolutely top of the line, but that's not what I'm going for - just something reasonably up-to-date by today's standards.
http://www.outletpc.com/a1003am-athlon-ii-motherboard-cpu-memory-combo-deals.html

The motherboard appears to have positive feedback, too, which is encouraging.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&complete=0&q=Biostar+N68S3%2B&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4168435289625502256&sa=X&ei=sBeXT5z_GcKK2gWs9JDoDQ&ved=0CEwQ8wIwAQ

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 00:37 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jemascola wrote:
danperteet wrote:
What time?
Maybe around 2:00 - 3:00?

By the way, I found this. Pretty good price for the bundle if you ask me. What do you think? It may not be absolutely top of the line, but that's not what I'm going for - just something reasonably up-to-date by today's standards.
http://www.outletpc.com/a1003am-athlon-ii-motherboard-cpu-memory-combo-deals.html

The motherboard appears to have positive feedback, too, which is encouraging.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&complete=0&q=Biostar+N68S3%2B&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4168435289625502256&sa=X&ei=sBeXT5z_GcKK2gWs9JDoDQ&ved=0CEwQ8wIwAQ

good boards, but I think we might be able to do even better. These are pretty modern boards, but at the same time, there are a few things I would change. Biostar is a good company though, so I'll say these would be decent picks, but let's see if we can get you more for the same price. :)
See ya around 2-3 dude. :) If that's too late or too early, anytime is fine, since I'll be here all day, as far as I know.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]