It is currently 22 Apr 2019, 03:10

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: FAFSA
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2010, 09:10 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey, Dan, when you got the HOPE Grant, did you apply for the FAFSA as well?

Post subject: Re: FAFSA
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2010, 10:54 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That would be a yes, but you qualify for the Hope Scholarship, so that shouldn't concern you. The FAFSA is the form for: Hope Scholarship, Hope Grant, and the Pell Grant. The Pell Grant requires financial info, so it would be easier not to worry about Pell at this time. Less paperwork. :) You have Hope anyway.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2010, 10:57 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cool.

The only thing about the HOPE Scholarship, though, is that it says you've got to apply in January and send out college aps in September of whatever. I may just have to stick with the Grant for now - just 'cause the timing isn't right.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2010, 12:59 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RedneckRoadGeek wrote:
Cool.

The only thing about the HOPE Scholarship, though, is that it says you've got to apply in January and send out college aps in September of whatever. I may just have to stick with the Grant for now - just 'cause the timing isn't right.

Well the Grant only pays for the Diploma Program. You'll have to temporarily apply for the Diploma program, I guess. If you are already registered, you'll have to fill out a change of enrollment, like I did. Yes, I was originally gonna go for the degree program, but I learned some financial aid tricks. I will be switching back to the degree program eventually. Anyway, if you do switch programs, make sure the person doing your schedule, does not put you in any academic classes. They may be the one with the computer in front of them, but they can't put you in something you don't want, unless no other classes are open. The reason I say don't take any academics, are the math, reading, etc, are not the same ones as the degree program, so taking diploma academics is useless for your situation.
Any more questions, I am here to answer them. :)

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 08:52 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Okay, thanks, man.

Actually, I've got another question now that I think of it. What about Certificate programs? Does the Grant cover those? I'm asking that because I think some of those are shorter classes, and I don't really want to be in a long program if I'm just going to be dropping out a few months later to hopefully switch to another school.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 14:19 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RedneckRoadGeek wrote:
Okay, thanks, man.

Actually, I've got another question now that I think of it. What about Certificate programs? Does the Grant cover those? I'm asking that because I think some of those are shorter classes, and I don't really want to be in a long program if I'm just going to be dropping out a few months later to hopefully switch to another school.

Certificate programs are covered, I think. The only problem, is they are not real programs, and don't transfer. They are just certificates, like a Commercial Truck driving program, or auto program.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 14:55 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks.

The thing is, though, if I want to go to, say Gordon College, what I would want to do there would be different than what I'd do at a technical college (Prepharmacy vs. Pharmacy Tech - I believe those are two different things), and I saw on some site that said that if you applied to another school after spending time at Griffin Tech, they'd basically treat you like you'd never been to college before and that nothing really "transfers" so much (Link to Comments). What do you think about that? Even if I got in a Certificate program that wasn't transferable (not saying I plan to do so, though), don't you think I could just basically start over at another school?

Thanks again, man - I really appreciate your help.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 16:38 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RedneckRoadGeek wrote:
Thanks.

The thing is, though, if I want to go to, say Gordon College, what I would want to do there would be different than what I'd do at a technical college (Prepharmacy vs. Pharmacy Tech - I believe those are two different things), and I saw on some site that said that if you applied to another school after spending time at Griffin Tech, they'd basically treat you like you'd never been to college before and that nothing really "transfers" so much (Link to Comments). What do you think about that? Even if I got in a Certificate program that wasn't transferable (not saying I plan to do so, though), don't you think I could just basically start over at another school?

Thanks again, man - I really appreciate your help.

Griffin Tech is a member of the technical college system of georgia. Gordon College is a member of the university system of georgia. Most, if not all credits won't transfer, so, yeah, if you go here, and decide to go to another college, you have basically lost those Hope hours. Certifercates at any school are non-transferable, because they are just for certification, like air conditioner techs, car mechanics, and stuff must be certified. They aren't really college. I'll give you some advice. If you plan on going to Gordon in the near future, just forget Griffin. I doubt they can pull your financial aid if you don't show up, and if you call them, they will try and convince you to stay, or give you some bs about you can't leave because your registered, or your credits will transfer. Trust me, they tell me this bs all the time. The only problem with going to Gordon, is they don't have Diploma, if I am correct, and thus, you won't have financial aid. Maybe you should call gacollege411(Their phone number should be on their site). They will give you real advice that works, unlike colleges, who just won't you in at any cost.
Hope that helps.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2010, 09:37 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, man, that definitely helps.

I don't think I'll have to worry about the diploma thing because the main reason I want to go to Gordon College is so I can get an Associate Degree in science for Prepharmacy. My next hurdle is dealing with my dad, lol. I think maybe I should go ahead and fill out the FAFSA anyway - even if it means I won't be going to college for an extra few months.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2010, 13:10 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RedneckRoadGeek wrote:
Thanks, man, that definitely helps.

I don't think I'll have to worry about the diploma thing because the main reason I want to go to Gordon College is so I can get an Associate Degree in science for Prepharmacy. My next hurdle is dealing with my dad, lol. I think maybe I should go ahead and fill out the FAFSA anyway - even if it means I won't be going to college for an extra few months.

Oh, I told my mom that I was considering leaving Griffin Tech after summer quarter, as it was a waste of my time to be at a institution like that. She didn't take it too well, but I need to start doing this my way.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next