It is currently 20 Feb 2019, 02:51

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: I Got a Packard Bell!
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2011, 21:39 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I went to Value Village in Riverdale (next door to America's Thrift Stores that we were planning to visit a few months ago) and found a Packard Bell Platinum 1665 for $3.03! Even better was that it was in the same cabinet style as my old PB. Needless to say, I bought it right on the spot! Who knows when I'd ever see a mid-90s PB for sale again? Sadly, though, it doesn't have Windows 95 (it has Windows Me). But I'll fix that... :) You know me - I'm allergic to any OS or computer older than 1997 :lol:

I also went next door to America's Thrift Stores and got a PB monitor from 1994 and a PB keyboard. Also, I'm going to upload a video of the Packard Bell tomorrow. Just thought I'd let you know.

Post subject: Re: I Got a Packard Bell!
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2011, 22:06 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jemascola wrote:
I went to Value Village in Riverdale (next door to America's Thrift Stores that we were planning to visit a few months ago) and found a Packard Bell Platinum 1665 for $3.03! Even better was that it was in the same cabinet style as my old PB. Needless to say, I bought it right on the spot! Who knows when I'd ever see a mid-90s PB for sale again? Sadly, though, it doesn't have Windows 95 (it has Windows Me). But I'll fix that... :) You know me - I'm allergic to any OS or computer older than 1997 :lol:

I also went next door to America's Thrift Stores and got a PB monitor from 1994 and a PB keyboard. Also, I'm going to upload a video of the Packard Bell tomorrow. Just thought I'd let you know.

I WANT TO INSTALL THE OS, PACKARD BELL RULES!
You have got to let me see it!
Also, does Value Village have any other old computers? If so, we might have to take a trip there, :)

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2011, 22:31 
Site Admin
Site Admin

danperteet wrote:
Lol :P
You can install the operating system under one condition. It must be...WINDOWS 95 :lol: J/k

danperteet wrote:
Also, does Value Village have any other old computers? If so, we might have to take a trip there, :)
It has a few computers but actually not that many - maybe two or three at the most. I was a little disappointed in that regard. It had more monitors than computers, actually. Still, there might be something you'd like there. Personally, I was hoping to find something like my old TeleVideo, but I haven't found one like that yet. I'll keep looking, though.

Also, even if we don't get any computer-related things, we could still go there anyway and check out other things there that I found interesting :D

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2011, 00:14 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jemascola wrote:
danperteet wrote:
Lol :P
You can install the operating system under one condition. It must be...WINDOWS 95 :lol: J/k

danperteet wrote:
It has a few computers but actually not that many - maybe two or three at the most. I was a little disappointed in that regard. It had more monitors than computers, actually. Still, there might be something you'd like there. Personally, I was hoping to find something like my old TeleVideo, but I haven't found one like that yet. I'll keep looking, though.

Also, even if we don't get any computer-related things, we could still go there anyway and check out other things there that I found interesting :D

I have Windows 95, and Windows 95 with USB support. I'd have to find the disks, and the case which has the key, but that won't be too hard. If I can't find it, we can always use Windows 3.11
Interesting things eh?
My parents leave for their trip Tuesday, and should be back Saturday. I get to watch the house, and I have a hammer, knife, and golf club ready. Hoping those won't be necessary though. You should come hang out, not like anyone cares what I do when I am here alone, lol. Needs to be before Thursday though, got a dermatologist appointment Friday.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2011, 16:05 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joe, you should come over here Tuesday afternoon. I may be able to buy some stuff over at Value Village. hehe.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2011, 21:01 
Site Admin
Site Admin

danperteet wrote:
I have Windows 95, and Windows 95 with USB support. I'd have to find the disks, and the case which has the key, but that won't be too hard. If I can't find it, we can always use Windows 3.11
Interesting things eh?
Indeed, these old computers are interesting. I've got some Windows 95 disks as well. I'm going to try to see if maybe I can use a Packard Bell disk. It might work, considering that this is a Packard Bell computer, but then again, they might have it locked to a certain motherboard or hard drive. And we could install Windows 3.11 anyway - I love old OSes!

danperteet wrote:
My parents leave for their trip Tuesday, and should be back Saturday. I get to watch the house, and I have a hammer, knife, and golf club ready. Hoping those won't be necessary though. You should come hang out, not like anyone cares what I do when I am here alone, lol. Needs to be before Thursday though, got a dermatologist appointment Friday.

danperteet wrote:
Joe, you should come over here Tuesday afternoon. I may be able to buy some stuff over at Value Village. hehe.
If I'm at your house, the hammer, knife, and golf club probably will be necessary :lol: . Anyway, yeah, we can hang out. And yes, we could probably take a look at some things at Value Village. Heck, even America's Thrift Stores had some interesting things if you know what I mean.

I know your parents won't be gone until Tuesday, but are you doing anything tomorrow (Monday)? I can hang out Tuesday and Wednesday, but part of those days will be spent at college. On Tuesday, I'll need to be there from 5:45 to 7:30, and on Wednesday from 10:15 to 12:30-ish. That still gives me most of both days.

Also, did I tell you that today I went to various Value Villages in the area and found, yet again, more computers that interested me? I was hoping for a horizontal PB desktop, and while I didn't find one of those, I did find two horizontal desktops - one of which is fairly old! It has DOS 6.21 on it and Windows 3.1. In addition to the PB, I think you'd like to check them out!

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2011, 22:11 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I guess you can hangout tomorrow, although most of our time will be spent outside the house, since they'll be packing, and frustrated, but I charged up both camera batteries, so we could prolly get some footage, I guess. I also found 2 webcams in my house. Only one of them works prolly, but that's fine. The other one would work if I had Windows 98. Anyway, sure, Tuesday and Wednesday will be the most fun though, so those days you can bring our purchase. :) That's gotta sound so wrong for the people that don't know what we are talking about, but who cares about people and their filthy minds.
I will try and call you, but if we don't get in touch, just come on over anyway, I'll be here most of the day.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2011, 23:21 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Okay, cool. See ya then!

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2011, 13:57 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guess what? I got another Packard Bell today!!!

The funny thing is, I wasn't even looking for a PB this time. I've been to Value Village and America's Thrift Store many times over the last few months in search of more Packard Bell PCs and never found any. Well today, I was looking for some video games and other stuff, and I just happened to see a PB for sale. My mouth dropped open for a few seconds. Not only was this another PB, but it was a horizontal desktop kind (I've been wanting one in that style for a while).

To be honest, it's not exactly the style I want, but since it's a horizontal PB, it's close enough and will have to do. Another downside to it is that it's not in the greatest cosmetic condition, but I didn't care. A horizontal PB is a horizontal PB. Lol.

The PB is a Legend 18CD and cost $6.06. I haven't tried it out yet but will probably do so later tonight. Here are some sample pictures of the PB Legend 18CD.

Attachments:
File comment: Front of Packard Bell Legend 18CD.
2011-08-25 - 01.JPG
2011-08-25 - 01.JPG [ 834.75 KiB | Viewed 1435 times ]
File comment: Back of Packard Bell Legend 18CD.
2011-08-25 - 02.JPG
2011-08-25 - 02.JPG [ 999.52 KiB | Viewed 1435 times ]

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2011, 15:34 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nice find dude. Reminds me of my horizontal Packard Bell I had back in the day, with Windows 3.11 for Workgroups. :)
Don't worry, if it doesn't work, we can make it work! You know how I am about making stuff work.
Also, I found the first Disk of that set of MS-DOS disks, so now we can install DOS. :D

Page 1 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next