It is currently 25 Aug 2019, 20:35

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Dell Dimension 4400 Acting Funny Lately
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2011, 13:28 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Over the last few days or so, the Dell's been acting kind of weird. If I have the task manager minimized, and I see that the CPU is running at 100% in the icon by the clock, I try to open up the task manager to see what's using so much of the CPU, but I can't open it. All the options except close are grayed out.

And even when I try to close the task manager (or any other window), I just get a message saying the program's not responding. Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't do anything, either.

The computer doesn't really act slow or anything, but I just can't access the task manager or close it when it's already been opened (and I can't close other programs, too).

If I click on the start menu button, the menu will pop up, but I can't close it. When I'm online, I've had to make sure not to click anything other than what's in Firefox, or I might block the screen with start menus that won't close.

And right now, I'm not even using my regular account on my computer, as for some dumb reason, it's supposedly corrupt or something (what the computer says when I first log on).

The only thing I can do to reset this is simply restart the computer by holding down the button. It's rather frustrating and annoying.

Any thoughts as to what problem this might be? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Dell Dimension 4400 Acting Funny Lately
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2011, 13:36 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Minor correction: I scrolled over the little icon, and it's usage is 97%.

Also, prior to my account being corrupted, when using search engines, if I clicked on a link, it would sometimes go to a tab called Jump or whatever and wouldn't show the page I was looking for.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2011, 13:48 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry to post again so soon, but this time when starting up (yes, I had to restart yet again), I decided to try and catch the troublemaking process in the act. So instead of using Firefox full screen and task manager minimized, I kept them both open side by side. And I finally caught the process that was using so much of the CPU. Something called javaw. I was able to end the process, thank goodness, but I don't know if it will start up again sometime soon.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2011, 22:47 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Firefox uses a lot of RAM itself. But I can fix it permanently, because I bet you anything, that if you restart it, that process will be back, if it's not already. Fortunately I know how to fix it. :)

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 14:55 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, it always does start over after a while every time I restart. It's been like this for the last few days or weeks or so. The thing is, it's never done this before - it's only a recent thing, and it's not just Firefox - when the computer starts, it says my profile is corrupted or whatever, and the only way I can use the comp is if I use a guest account assigned by the computer. It's kinda weird.

Thanks for your input. I'm in Knoxville now (sigh...again), so maybe when I get back we can take a look at it.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 19:54 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RedneckRoadGeek wrote:
Yeah, it always does start over after a while every time I restart. It's been like this for the last few days or weeks or so. The thing is, it's never done this before - it's only a recent thing, and it's not just Firefox - when the computer starts, it says my profile is corrupted or whatever, and the only way I can use the comp is if I use a guest account assigned by the computer. It's kinda weird.

Thanks for your input. I'm in Knoxville now (sigh...again), so maybe when I get back we can take a look at it.

I hope you made backups, because the fact that you mentioned a corrupted profile is kind of serious. Anything involving corruption of that scale is serious. Try not to use it anymore than you have to. That means quit archiving websites, and just turn the thing off. the more you run it, the more risk you take of a major crash.
I'm not saying that it will crash, but it is best to take it safe, ya know? Things can go from alright to really bad really fast.
Anyway, I'll see what we can do to get it back in running shape. First of all, I knew the way your computer was running was not right, even though you insisted it was fine. oh, and the more crap you read and write from your hard drive, the more risk of files in those heavily used sectors being corrupted. I know you have gigs of websites, images videos, random programs that you installed that have prolly turned the registry into something out of a horror movie, maybe some virus and spyware damage from the past.
It needs a good tune up. :)
Wow, this is a long post. I'm done. :)

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 13:17 
Site Admin
Site Admin

danperteet wrote:
I hope you made backups, because the fact that you mentioned a corrupted profile is kind of serious. Anything involving corruption of that scale is serious. Try not to use it anymore than you have to. That means quit archiving websites, and just turn the thing off. the more you run it, the more risk you take of a major crash.
I'm not saying that it will crash, but it is best to take it safe, ya know? Things can go from alright to really bad really fast.
Anyway, I'll see what we can do to get it back in running shape. First of all, I knew the way your computer was running was not right, even though you insisted it was fine. oh, and the more crap you read and write from your hard drive, the more risk of files in those heavily used sectors being corrupted. I know you have gigs of websites, images videos, random programs that you installed that have prolly turned the registry into something out of a horror movie, maybe some virus and spyware damage from the past.
It needs a good tune up. :)
Wow, this is a long post. I'm done. :)

I will try to use the computer less, though I have accessed a lot of my files from my profile without any problem whatsoever.

And about my computer "not running right," you're thinking of my Dell 1501 laptop. I'm talking about my Dell 4400 desktop. And the only problem with my laptop that day was just that explorer was using a lot of memory because I hadn't shut it off or restarted it in a long time. Back at my house, I restarted it, and it's been running just fine ever since (it still is running fine as I'm typing this at the library). But for sure, something weird is going on with the Dell desktop.

One thing I will say is that since taking over the computer last year, it has never had an antivirus program. That's because when I tried to install AVG, it wouldn't run right. Probably because I'm using XP SP1.

As we said before, we'll have to take a look at the comp when I get back in a few days. Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 21:05 
Site Admin
Site Admin

AVG is a piece of crap. We'll get you something real.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2011, 18:04 

danperteet wrote:

Animated
Vegetable
Generators
._.

Some people need a hug...Around the neck...With a rope.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 00:07 
Site Admin
Site Admin

code_dragon wrote:
Animated
Vegetable
Generators
._.

Lol.

danperteet wrote:

What do you suggest? And in case you don't know, I'm back home now.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next